Wednesday, December 8, 2010

PHR

On Monday I got my PHR. You might be thinking, "Wow! A PHR! What is that sometime of car, maybe a plumbing device, or perhaps a new iPad like device?" No, it isn't any of those things. It is the Professional of Human Resources certificate - which is similar to the CPA in the accounting field, but in the human resources side of the house.

Getting my PHR was surprise for me honestly. I mean I've always planned on getting it, since I decided HR was the place for me, but when I say a surprise I mean while actually taking the exam. I was thinking there was no way I'd be passing it. But I did, so what does that mean? It means more to me than I thought it would. I feel like I accomplished something, which surprises me. Since all it really is, when you knock it down to the essentials, is knowing enough at a specific point in time in your life to join some club of other people who have bought into the idea promoted by a company that their certification is the way to go.

Having my PHR doesn't make me a better person, or in better shape, or sweet-awesome smart. It doesn't even give me a pay raise... yet. What it does do though is show that I'm willing to jump through the hoops that education and certifications are and  I am dedicated to my chosen field of work. So, though I have planned on getting my PHR, I never thought I'd feel as accomplished as I do now that I have it. I don't feel better than anyone else, I'm not a better HR person because of getting it, but it is a personal accomplishment that is nice to have.

Now as soon as they make a professional certification in board gaming, that's one certification I'd be all about having! Perhaps I should make that company and give that certification out. The Board Gamer of Professional Level certificate. I can see my name now....Adam Daulton, BGPL. Let me know if you'd like this certificate and we can work something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment