Saturday, December 18, 2010

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

I think I'm starting to enjoy documentaries more than I should. I mean, documentaries are for old people right? You know the intrepid reporter looking into the history of neckties. That is about as exciting as all get out. In the past year though, I've watched 3 documentaries that I really liked.

First, Second Skin is a documentary about some people that are into World of Warcraft and other Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG). It follows them and how dedicated and ruled they are by the games they play. How it effects their family and how it effects their friends and how it effects their life. It goes to show that too much of just about anything can be bad for you.

Second, National Geographic: The Fellowship of the Ring, is a good solid look into the LotR world, the movies, and just things Tolkien. Now, of course I'm predisposed to like this one, but nonetheless I think you should watch it.

Third, this is the one that causes this blog post, is The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. It's essentially all about two people. One is a classic arcade gamer for the past 25 years, while the other is a down on his luck teacher who picks up playing a single classic arcade game. You see both of their quests and the rivalry that grows between them. I know this sounds about as nerdy as can be, but I tell you that I was entertained. Thanks to Sean for suggesting it to me. So go out and watch a documentary. You might learn something about this strange world we live in.

2 comments:

  1. I love the King of Kong documentary! Man on Wire is also a great one and I just had Food, Inc., Babies, and Waiting for Superman (in theatres) referred to me. Let me know if you find any other great ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, The Corporation and Enron: Smartest Guys In The Room are also good.

    ReplyDelete