Monday, October 4, 2010

Mancala & Less Noise

This past weekend was our youth group's fall retreat. To be honest with you I wasn't all that excited about going once the weekend actually got here. I'd had a long week at work, hadn't really done anything all that exciting all week in the evenings, and so I would have rather pursued some of my hobbies rather than go on the retreat. Turns out though, God knew what I needed, and I enjoyed myself and perhaps focused a bit.

The week was all about taking time to stop throughout your day and turn off the noise of life to listen and commune with God. There were many different suggestions, but the one that I took to heart was leaving the radio off in the car and using that time to focus on God. So that is what I did today and it was a lot harder than I thought! We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

As for Mancala, it is a 1500 year old abstract game where you try to collect the most beads by moving them around 12 circles on a wooden board. Doesn't really have to be wooden, doesn't have to be beads, doesn't have to be circles. This game could be played with some rocks and lines drawn in the sand. I convinced Josh to play 3 games with me Saturday afternoon, while we were waiting for an activity to begin. I had a good time! I'm not sure if Josh did as much, but it was nice getting to know him a bit more and interesting to discover that though it isn't the greatest game in the world, Mancala has stood the test of time for a reason.

So go out and play a game of Mancala and before you do pause to think about how time-tested the Word of God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment