Monday, June 25, 2012

The First

So I'm starting a blog. That is weird to me. I've never figured myself as a much of a writer, but looking back I've wrote quite a bit about board games, so I figured I'd carry it over into other areas of life. What really has made me start this blog though is a book I'm reading. It is John Adams by David McCullough. So far it is a pretty interesting book with some great insight into Adams' life, but none of that would have been possible without all the personal writing he did throughout his life. Now I don't expect to have a biography written about me someday, but I'd like my family and even myself to be able to look back and see what I was thinking about or pondering at a given time in my life. So it begins here.

"Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." - C.S. Lewis
I read this quote from C.S. Lewis early this past summer while reading a book on heaven by Ted Dekker. The quote was honestly the best part of Dekker's book and hasn't left my head all summer long. A couple days ago a saw a copy of Weight of Glory laying on a table and read the first chapter where this quote is from. It really makes me think about my life and what fulfills me.

I think as Christians, myself included in that statement, a lot of times tend to focus on being content in our lives. However, when Paul tells us to in Philippians 4:11 that no matter what state we are in to be content, I think he is speaking about grasping what God has given us and being satisfied with that. However, I don't think he is saying not to have any motivation in life or not to desire more. Lewis brings up the point that we can be easily satisfied with a mediocre relationship with God, a mediocre relationship with those around us, a mediocre outlook on life. Why shoot for mediocre?! I'm not not talking health and wealth gospel here, but I am talking pursuing those desires that God gives us for Him to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment