Saturday, June 29, 2013

Regional Season

It has been quite awhile since I posted anything, but I thought I'd write a little bit about where I've been spending my weekends the past couple months. Normally April, May, and June are all about fishing for me, but this year I decided to spend them playing in Regional Tournaments for Android: Netrunner and Warhammer: Invasion the two card games I try and play competitively.

Invasion - Blue Grass Magic Shop - Louiville, KY
This was a fun trip down to Louiville with Patrick, Julia, Brendan, Emily, and Sean. We brought 6 of the 15 participates to the tourney from Indianapolis! 15 people in an Invasion tournament is pretty impressive, considering they only had 20 at Worlds last year and only 16 at GenCon. I made the top 8 as the #8 seed and then somehow came flying back and took the tourney against Brian. You can read about it here: Regional Report #1.

Netrunner - Saltire Games - Indianapolis, IN
I've got to say this was the worst tournament experience I think I've ever had. Though my first year at Worlds for Invasion was pretty bad. We didn't start until 45 minutes after the start time, because the organizer didn't show up or call. The guy who ran the tourney really didn't know anything about Netrunner. It was advertised poorly, so that only 10 people showed up (which seems low for Netrunner) and in general it just didn't go so well. I finished 6 out of 10, but did enjoy the actual playing of the games. You can read about it here: Regional Report #2.

Netrunner - Games Preserve - Indianapolis, IN
Ah yes, this was really fun. Extremely well organized, everything went really smooth. My only complaint on this one was the room is so small and gets quite crowded with 20 gamers in there. I was 1 point away from pulling 2nd place and just a card or two away from getting first if I remember right. It was fun to play with both Jeremys (my two main Netrunner opponents) in a tourney. Ended up in 3rd place. You can read about it here: Regional Report #3.

Invasion - Something2Do - Louisville, KY
This time it was just Brendan, Emily, and I making the trip. It was great to get to know them a little more as 4 hours in the car will do for people. Also fun, having a Subway right across the hall for pop all day and Brendan trading me his Invasion mug that I now have at work with my two trophies. I made the Top 4 again, but this time was beaten by another Brayherd deck, which makes the 3rd consecutive Louisville Regional won by a Brayherd deck. You can read about it here: Regional Report #4.

Thanks to an awesome wife, I have had a cool first half of the summer when it comes to my card games. Up next is the North American Championships at GenCon, where I hope to place well in Invasion, but probably will fare poorly in Netrunner.

No comments:

Post a Comment