Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Every 100 Games Series - Wyatt Earp

4,100 individual game sessions. That is where I am at now. I recently purchased Wyatt Earp, not because I was looking to own it, but because I wanted to support Miniature Market for sponsoring IndyCon. Turns out my wife learned the game, taught me, and then we played it. I'd played this game back in 2007 one time, so it wasn't completely new to me, but it might as well have been. So what do I think now?



Components
This is essentially a card game, so there aren't a lot of components. There are 8 real-life outlaw boards. These boards represent various villains like Billy the Kid, Calamity Jane, and Bob Dalton (my favorite). The game also comes with some nice card board money tokens in $1,000 and $5,000 denominations. Then there is a deck of cards that not only have the outlaws represented, but also have some special action cards, including the namesake of the game, Wyatt Earp. Other than that, not much else in the game. Except it does have a cool #5 on the spine showing its place in the Alea Small Box line.



Game Play
Basically this is a rummy variant game. On your turn you get to draw a card and play some card or cards. There are outlaw cards which are essentially the colors of the outlaws that you play in a set of 3 at first, but then can add to your own set our your opponent's set to try and get the most in those outlaws. Why do you want the most in a given outlaw you ask? Well, as you play these cards, money is being added for the "capture" of that outlaw and the player who has the highest value of those outlaw cards in front of themselves when the game ends gets the money. Person with the most money wins the game! There are other sheriff cards that give special actions for players as well, which add spice to this rummy play.



Strategy
Just like in many rummy-style games, this one is all about trying to be the one to go out first, and thus control the who wins each outlaw's reward. There is some touch and go with the various action cards, blocking players, adding to your pile, and generally trying to be sneaky. The game however isn't a huge thinking game and really shouldn't be one that taxes your brain so much.



Recommendations
500 Rummy Players - Yes, I'd say get this one. It isn't pure rummy, but it is pretty close. Plays quickly and I think has more decisions that Rummy does.
Western Fans - Again, I'd recommend this one. The artwork is cool. The Western theme isn't that strong (have yet to play a game that it is) but it is there. It is one that would be good to add if you like that theme.
2-Player Gamers - I don't recommend this for you. With two players only this game seems to lose something to me. Since a lot of the game is about fighting over the outlaw rewards, it seems more fun to fight over those rewards with multiple people.

*Every 100 Games Series - Back in March of 2006 I began tracking each session of the various board and card games I play. I soon got the idea to write a review on every 100th game I played, one because I like writing reviews, and two because it is interesting to see what game I review next. You can find a list of all of them here: Every 100 Games Series Reviews.

1 comment:

  1. For a two player "themed" rummy game, Bonnie and Clyde is really good. From a game play stand point though is probably my favorite of the "mystery rummy" games that I have played.

    ReplyDelete