Saturday, July 16, 2011

Humanity is the Answer

It's been a while since I posted, so I wanted to post something, but don't have a lot of time right now to enter this well thought out philosophical/theological statement. However, I did want to write something.

Last night I was watching Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. Boring movie, if I were you, I wouldn't bother. Unless you want to see a bunch of numbers floating between buildings, because they think that is cool and about the most exciting part of the movie. However, there was one quote that struck me and very interesting and very true. In the movie Michael Douglas plays an ex-con who gets out of jail (SPOILER ALERT!) and tricks his daughter's fiance into convincing her to give him $100 million by insisting he wants to be closer to her. But instead, he takes the money and runs. When the fiance confronts him about taking the money by asking Douglas the question, "Did you ever really want to repair your relationship with your daughter?" Douglas answers, "Sure I did. I'm human." Then the fiance asks him, "So why did you do this?" To which Douglas replies, "Same answer."

That struck a chord with me. I've always been of the opinion that humans want that feeling of completeness and being filled. Whether it is money, relationships, fame, or a million other things. We naturally feel like we're missing something and need to fill it up. The character Douglas was playing had this same issue. He wanted to fill his life up with his daughter, but he also wanted to fill it up with money. You'll notice though that either way was still taking care of him. What made me think though, is his answer applies to me as well. I know, this surprises those of you who thought I was an alien born on another planet, sent to Earth for truth and justice. I'm not though, just a human, that when asked "Why did you do it?" would respond the same way.

So the whole reason I wrote this post? Just for me to think about what it means to be human and where that puts me in relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment