Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Top 10 Comic Book Hero Movies

I made the post below on my Facebook page almost a year ago. Just watched Thor this week and it's been awhile since I wrote a blog, so I thought I'd repost it here. Thor didn't make it, though it was good, it isn't great.

Hey everyone. I've decided to do a blog on a whenever-I-feel-like-it basis. The point of these notes will be the Top 10 - Whatever. These can include everything from my Top 10 Bible verses to the Top 10 things to do in the Summer to The Top 10 Presidents. I thought I'd start off on a lighter note for this one, so here are my Top 10 Super Hero Movies:

#1 - The Dark Knight. There is not a doubt in this one. Heath Ledger's performance, the "Wanna see a Magic Trick" scene, the semi-trailer flipping end over end, it is just a great movie! Even though I enjoy the light, comedy feel of earlier Batman movies, the dark & gritty feeling of this movie just makes me enjoy it.

#2 - Ironman. An awesome movie. The opening scene is great where Tony's caravan gets attacked. Plenty of humor, great fighting, excellent special effects. Another super hero who isn't perfect, but still manages to be a super hero. I also find it interesting that he lets everyone know he is Ironman. This is very different than many super hero movies.

#3 - Spiderman 2. Dr. Octavius makes this movie! The villian that doesn't want to be a villain. Usually I am all about the villains that you love to hate, but in this case Doc Ock is a villain that you feel sorry for and want to see him kick his problem, namely a sweet machine that has attached itself to his spine.

#4 - X-Men 2. I continue my favorite Comic Book movies with yet another sequal. X-2 delivers everything I want in a comic book movie, lots of fighting, cool special effects, and great villains (Magneto). Probably my biggest reason for liking this one is Nightcrawler and his story line - how he is a mutant that is obviously a mutant is interesting.

#5 - Superman. You just can't be the 1st Superman movie starring Christopher Reeves. He is everything that Superman is supposed to be: polite, smart, big and good-looking, a pillar of justice and truth. It is also fun that he turns back time by flying around the world. Gene Hackman also is an awesome Lex Luthor.

#6 - Batman: The Movie. That is right, I'm going there. If you have never seen this classic starring Adam West, then quit reading this note and go watch it. It has everything. The Bat-Shark Repellent, the Bat Boat, the walking up buildings and random people poke their heads out, and all the other crazy wacky stuff that makes this a top 10 comic book movie!

#7 - The Punisher. I'm not talking about the most recent one, but the one that came out a few years ago. This one is one that I had never heard of until I watched it on TV one day. I loved it. My favorite scene by far is where the Punisher comes up to John Travolta and says, "I've killed one of your sons" ,then there is a big explosion, "make that two of your sons and now I'm going to kill you." He gets his revenge on the bad guy.

#8 - Spiderman. Even though I don't like the Green Goblin mask, since it reminds me of a Power Ranger, I liked the movie a lot. It brought some great shots of Spidey swinging through the city, has some witty comments from our hero, and makes for a fun and exciting movie.

#9 - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
I know this will probably be the most controversial one, but I liked it! Sean Connery is always good in a movie and it was fun for me to see heroes of the books from my childhood come to life - even though they were very different than I imagined.

#10 - Batman. Jack Nicholas as the Joker is great! Even though I really liked the new joker, I still like the old Joker just as well. He is funny, but obviously someone that you don't want to cross. The over-the-top everything, similar to the original Batman movie, makes for a good romp.

Honorable Mentions:
-Fantastic Four
-Superman 2
-Superman 4
-X-Men
-Batman Begins

So now you may know me a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment