Sunday, November 30, 2014

Puking Empathy

Puking empathy! Sort of a gross title huh? However, on Thanksgiving this year I was puking and I was finally empathetic. You see all my kids the last few days have been sick and have been throwing up. I felt sorry for them, I helped take care of them, I rubbed their back and cuddled with them, and made them meals. My wife did all this and more for them.

Then 1am on Thanksgiving morning I threw up, I would then proceed to do so 7 more times through the morning. It was horrible. Gross, painful, nauseating, whatever adjective you want to use to describe it. It made me empathetic though. I knew I was experiencing exactly what they had experienced and really truly understood what they went through. It made me feel even more sorry for them and hurt for them, because I don't want my little girls to have to go through such distress and pain and hopelessness feeling. It made me wish I could go back and be sick for them in addition to my own sickness. It then made me understand Christ's love for me even more.

Jesus has that empathy for us (which means me too!). That is the necessity of the cross. That is why he is He. It wouldn't do any good you see for a  man who was partly God to sacrifice himself. It had to be 100% God and 100% man for him to truly empathize with us and thus know us for who we are. Understand the pain, Know the temptation. Truly empathize with us.

So on Thanksgiving I found that I was thankful for good health most of the time and a God who became a man to empathize with me.

I leave this with you from Philippians 2:5-8:

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very naturea God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very natureb of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

No comments:

Post a Comment